Eclipse problems

Vaughn Treude plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Mar 25 09:03:02 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 00:09, you wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2004 01:10 pm, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> > Hello all:
> > I was quite impressed with the Feb 5th Eclipse presentation and have been
> > enthused about the possibility of using it to replace my current Linux
> > IDE. I've downloaded it and gotten it running, but I've been encountering
> > a few problems.  I have googled for possible solution but there's so much
> > info out there I can't separate the wheat from the chaff.  So I'd
> > appreciate it if anyone has encountered these problems:
> >
> > 1. I downloaded the C++ plugin cdt-1.2.1.zip, and I unzipped it into the
> > plugins directory as I was told to do.  But when I restart Eclipse, it
> > complains about missing "cdt core" components, and won't show C++ as an
> > option under the "new projects" list.  Yet this was supposed to be a
> > "complete" installation.
>
> I was able to install the CDT plugin via the Help->Software updates->Find
> and install... feature.  I went to the CDT project web site to find the
> project's Update Site.  It seemed to work fine.

I don't have  that option on my version of Eclipse, which is 2.1.  Maybe I
should have the newer version.  Under "Software updates" I have only "New
updates" and "Update manager".

> However, installation of the PyDev (python) plugin has been problematic.  I
> fear that I am using one of the 3.0 integration builds and the plugin is
> old enough to be incompatible.  <shrug>
>
> > 2.  Does Eclipse have a good visual programming plugin (either
> > open-source or reasonably priced commerical) on a par with Delphi or
> > Visual C++?  (I have a Kylix project I would like to port to Eclipse if
> > possible. ) I downloaded a plugin called VE, which I thought was supposed
> > to be a visual editor, but Eclipse won't even see it.  When I
> > google-search for a visual programming plugin I get about 500 hits on a
> > "visual programming for web pages" plugin, which sounds cool, but it's
> > not what I need!
>
> I have not seen one, but then I have not looked.

This is a really important feature for me, so if I can't find one it may be a
deal-breaker.

> > 3.  I'm attempting to run Eclipse on a RH 7.3 installation.  When I start
> > Eclipse it complains about the gtk libraries being too old.  Is this a
> > serious problem?  For various reasons, I do not want to upgrade this
> > system. I have been attempting to upgrade the gtk libraries - hopefully
> > this won't hose my system, but there are so many dependencies I haven't
> > successfully done it yet.  I have tried compiling some of the dependent
> > libraries from source, but haven't found them all yet either.  Do you
> > think I can ignore the gtk warning message?  (I just got my sound and DVD
> > working, and I don't want to mess it up by upgrading the whole install!
>
> I can understand not wanting to change a working system.  All I can say is
> ignore the gtk warning and see if something breaks.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

> > Side note:  I have a newer faster system I'd prefer to use for Eclipse
> > development, but for some bizarre hardware-related reason that one is
> > unstable on the newer 2.4 kernels - from the logs it appears to be a
> > power management issue, and I can't completely disable this "feature" in
> > bios, so I've been forced to keep the system in question on Mandrake 8.
> > Eclipse won't even start in a distro that old, so I'm kind of stuck using
> > the Red Hat system.)
>
> That is odd.  You should track that one down, I think.

I will, but it's been a tough nut to crack.  When I first got this Soyo
Dragon motherboard, I installed Mandrake 9.1 on the system and encountered
the hang problem frequently.  Shortly afterwardI had to back off to Mandrake
8 due to problems getting Kylix 3 running on the newer distro.   At that same
time I'd just discovered (and disabled) the ACPI option in the bios, so I
thought I'd fixed it.  Recently I set up 9.1 in a spare partition so I could
run Eclipse.  In 9.1, the problem was back.  At some point  (but not
immediately) while running the screen saver, it flashes the keyboard lights
and hangs, probably some sort of kernel panic.  But there's nothing in the
log about that, I just see normal stuff like cron messages.  One thing that
makes me suspect power management was the following, which I see in the log
files for Mandrake 8 and 9.1 as well as Red Hat 9 (which also hangs):

Mar  6 04:06:41 vaughn kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 3d.
Mar  6 04:06:41 vaughn kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Mar  6 04:06:41 vaughn kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode
enabled?

I suppose that may be totally coincidental.  The other oddity about this
system is that sometimes when I reboot it, it hangs on the reboot, and I must
press the reset switch in order for it to come up.