Eclipse problems

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Mar 24 22:12:02 2004

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 01:10 pm, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> Hello all:
> I was quite impressed with the Feb 5th Eclipse presentation and have been
> enthused about the possibility of using it to replace my current Linux IDE.
> I've downloaded it and gotten it running, but I've been encountering a few
> problems.  I have googled for possible solution but there's so much info
> out there I can't separate the wheat from the chaff.  So I'd appreciate it
> if anyone has encountered these problems:
>
> 1. I downloaded the C++ plugin cdt-1.2.1.zip, and I unzipped it into the
> plugins directory as I was told to do.  But when I restart Eclipse, it
> complains about missing "cdt core" components, and won't show C++ as an
> option under the "new projects" list.  Yet this was supposed to be a
> "complete" installation.

I was able to install the CDT plugin via the Help->Software updates->Find and
install... feature.  I went to the CDT project web site to find the project's
Update Site.  It seemed to work fine.

However, installation of the PyDev (python) plugin has been problematic.  I
fear that I am using one of the 3.0 integration builds and the plugin is old
enough to be incompatible.  <shrug>

> 2.  Does Eclipse have a good visual programming plugin (either open-source
> or reasonably priced commerical) on a par with Delphi or Visual C++?  (I
> have a Kylix project I would like to port to Eclipse if possible. ) I
> downloaded a plugin called VE, which I thought was supposed to be a visual
> editor, but Eclipse won't even see it.  When I google-search for a visual
> programming plugin I get about 500 hits on a "visual programming for web
> pages" plugin, which sounds cool, but it's not what I need!

I have not seen one, but then I have not looked.

> 3.  I'm attempting to run Eclipse on a RH 7.3 installation.  When I start
> Eclipse it complains about the gtk libraries being too old.  Is this a
> serious problem?  For various reasons, I do not want to upgrade this
> system. I have been attempting to upgrade the gtk libraries - hopefully
> this won't hose my system, but there are so many dependencies I haven't
> successfully done it yet.  I have tried compiling some of the dependent
> libraries from source, but haven't found them all yet either.  Do you think
> I can ignore the gtk warning message?  (I just got my sound and DVD
> working, and I don't want to mess it up by upgrading the whole install!

I can understand not wanting to change a working system.  All I can say is
ignore the gtk warning and see if something breaks.

> Side note:  I have a newer faster system I'd prefer to use for Eclipse
> development, but for some bizarre hardware-related reason that one is
> unstable on the newer 2.4 kernels - from the logs it appears to be a power
> management issue, and I can't completely disable this "feature" in bios, so
> I've been forced to keep the system in question on Mandrake 8.  Eclipse
> won't even start in a distro that old, so I'm kind of stuck using the Red
> Hat system.)

That is odd.  You should track that one down, I think.

> If I can get this working, I'll gladly share any Eclipse experience with
> the group, and help other folks get started if I can.

I was very impressed at the presentation also.  I have, however, been somewhat
disappointed with the CDT (C/C++ development) plugin.  It does not have
nearly the same indexing, searching, refactoring and other whiz-bang features
that Eclipse provides for java development.  Understandable since it started
as a java tool for java developers and is written in java.  CVS integration
is very nice with the exception of "re-naming" some common CVS concepts.
Like "Team Syncronizing"  Why call it that?  You are updating or committing
to the repository.  The new term caused initial confusion for me.

I am still playing with Eclipse.  I am cheering for the CDT developers, hoping
that the cool features in java can get implemented for C/C++ development too.

Alan