Eclipse problems

Vaughn Treude plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Mar 24 15:53:02 2004

Hello all:
I was quite impressed with the Feb 5th Eclipse presentation and have been
enthused about the possibility of using it to replace my current Linux IDE.
I've downloaded it and gotten it running, but I've been encountering a few
problems.  I have googled for possible solution but there's so much info out
there I can't separate the wheat from the chaff.  So I'd appreciate it if
anyone has encountered these problems:

1. I downloaded the C++ plugin cdt-1.2.1.zip, and I unzipped it into the
plugins directory as I was told to do.  But when I restart Eclipse, it
complains about missing "cdt core" components, and won't show C++ as an
option under the "new projects" list.  Yet this was supposed to be a
"complete" installation.
2.  Does Eclipse have a good visual programming plugin (either open-source or
reasonably priced commerical) on a par with Delphi or Visual C++?  (I have a
Kylix project I would like to port to Eclipse if possible. ) I downloaded a
plugin called VE, which I thought was supposed to be a visual editor, but
Eclipse won't even see it.  When I google-search for a visual programming
plugin I get about 500 hits on a "visual programming for web pages" plugin,
which sounds cool, but it's not what I need!
3.  I'm attempting to run Eclipse on a RH 7.3 installation.  When I start
Eclipse it complains about the gtk libraries being too old.  Is this a
serious problem?  For various reasons, I do not want to upgrade this system.
I have been attempting to upgrade the gtk libraries - hopefully this won't
hose my system, but there are so many dependencies I haven't successfully
done it yet.  I have tried compiling some of the dependent libraries from
source, but haven't found them all yet either.  Do you think I can ignore the
gtk warning message?  (I just got my sound and DVD working, and I don't want
to mess it up by upgrading the whole install!  Side note:  I have a newer
faster system I'd prefer to use for Eclipse development, but for some bizarre
hardware-related reason that one is unstable on the newer 2.4 kernels - from
the logs it appears to be a power management issue, and I can't completely
disable this "feature" in bios, so I've been forced to keep the system in
question on Mandrake 8.  Eclipse won't even start in a distro that old, so
I'm kind of stuck using the Red Hat system.)

If I can get this working, I'll gladly share any Eclipse experience with the
group, and help other folks get started if I can.

Thanks!
Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.