Online banking is restricting Linux Users!

Craig White plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Dec 16 19:22:02 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 17:38 -0700, Rob Wehrli wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Jared wrote:

> I use Opera as my primary browser.  I sent WF a message and they told me
> that they would not support Opera or any Linux platform.  Do you feel that
> it is OK for a bank to dictate browser software and operating platforms to
> its customers?
----
Just because they don't 'support' your OS/browser doesn't mean that they
are not going to work or that they will actively take any steps to make
them not work. It's really no different than using Cox - which will not
support Linux but you can use it. Just don't expect them to field your
call for support and tell you how to configure it.

My initial reaction to reading your posts was that you are expressing
fear about nothing. But Wells Fargo or any banking institution for that
matter can decide which OS/browser will work and which one's don't if
they choose coding in that manner. And of course, we can vote with our
business or lack thereof.

I would suggest that you take a deep breath and cease the hysterics of
fear (my impression) and hope that you recognize that Wells Fargo and
all other banks that I am aware of are motivated towards secure
transactions that are inclusive of as many computers used by their
customers as possible.

Craig