Online banking is restricting Linux Users!

Rob Wehrli plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Dec 16 15:50:03 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Jared wrote:

> ....maybe the issue is not the bank site....

Maybe you missed the whole point entirely.  The banks require Windoze or
Mac.  Just because a different browser is able to "spoof" them,
legitimately or not, doesn't mean that the banks are not dictating
software choices to people.  As a Linux activist, I'm not going to sit
around and take it.  I'll start a mini-revolution against it, and, maybe
if enough voices chime in, we'll get some recognition.

I set up a random auto-mailer daemon to basically send a message to
Oracle/Larry Ellison to port to Linux back in the days when Linux was a
"closet" operating environment, with the help of mostly GNU tools.
Eventually Oracle ported.  It took a few years, but it happened.  I don't
want to be in a position in a few years where banks are neglecting Linux
and I don't want to be in a position where I'm basically circumnavigating
their "rules" or their "service agreements" or other things.  I am a good
banking customer and I want service from the banking institutions that I
use.  I certainly do not want them to dictate software to me, especially
when it excludes Linux.  Now maybe you're content to simply pass yourself
off as a Windows-loving Billy Gates butt-hugger while banking, but I tell
them outright that I don't trust Microsoft and that I want them to support
Linux.

I'm not trying to be rude toward you, but I think that banking policies
that exclude Linux are bad policies toward Linux users.  It is NOT about
just being able to get in and using the service "under the radar."  It is
about activating more Linux professionals to make a stand against those
who are openly discriminating against us because we're not in the 80%
category of home computing platforms.  Maybe if the 20% of us SHOUTED loud
enough in their faces, they'd get the point and maybe consider accepting
us in their practices and policies.

I'm not trying to exclude them or anyone from making a free choice about
the software they prefer.  I wouldn't want them excluding me because I
choose a system that is proven better by everyone except the "independent"
performance evaluators hired by Microsoft who declared Linux was slower
than NT based on their performance testing of NT and data on Linux
performance that they acquired from the web.  FUD is FUD and for a banking
organization or group of organizations who entrust their security to UNIX
systems to tell me that I can't use UNIX to engage my bank, well it pulls
my short hairs all into a bunch.

I use Opera as my primary browser.  I sent WF a message and they told me
that they would not support Opera or any Linux platform.  Do you feel that
it is OK for a bank to dictate browser software and operating platforms to
its customers?

Take Care.

Rob!