mp3 sharing prog and midi conversion

Voltage Spike plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon Dec 2 11:40:04 2002

On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 10:57 PM, jaredm wrote:

> I had two questions. I can't seem to find a linux equivalent to kazaa
> or morphues. Do you guys know what to look for?

Both Kazaa and Morpheus were/are on the "FastTrack" network.  However,
due to some extremely unsatisfied people, the open source clients were
cut off from their access.  Out of this sprang the giFT project, which
uses a slightly modified network called "OpenFT".  You may find more at:

http://gift.sourceforge.net

Brian mentioned the gnutella network which appears to be quite popular.
  There is a list of clients at:

http://www.gnutelliums.com/linux_unix/

Finally, I have been looking at eDonkey 2000 and Overnet (eDonkey 2000
without a central server).  From a technical standpoint, they seem to
be doing everything right.  However, my experience leads me to believe
that you are more likely to find legitimate files (Linux ISOs, game
demos, etc.) there.  See:

http://www.edonkey2000.com

http://www.overnet.com

> Another thing I can't seem to find is a program that can convert midi
> files to mp3s. Are there any programs for this?

As Brian mentioned, I do not know of any programs specifically designed
for that purpose.  However, the two great command line clients are:

TiMidity++: MIDI to WAV converter that enables different music sets to
be used as taste demands

http://www.goice.co.jp/member/mo/timidity/

lame: the best WAV to MP3 converter in existence

http://lame.sourceforge.net

I believe that TiMidity++ allows for output to stdout and lame allows
for input from stdin, so a simple pipe (inside of an alias or a shell
script) would turn conversion into a 1-step command.

Good luck, and have fun!

- --
                                                            Voltage Spike
       ,,,