Linux project

technomage plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Dec 4 20:43:02 2002

hmmm,
david, not sure on this. however, you can try to contact the manufacturers
directly (since they don't seem to offer drivers on the site, they may not
have yet received such requests).

also, you might want to browse for linux hardware support for ...

I'll take a look around and see what else happens.

I've also carboned this request off to both the plug and plug-devel lists.
I'm sure someone there can answer your questions better than I.

Eric.

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 07:14 pm, you wrote:
> I have been prototyping a Home Theater PC that I can hopefully market.
> My first prototype is in Windows, its working but I want to create a front
> end that allows everything to be on-screen and remote controlled.
> Since these programs are written by others, this is a very difficult task.
>
> In comes Linux, or actually, open-source software.
> If feasable I will create a prototype in this environment.
>
> The first and foremost requirement for this project is an ATSC tuner.
> Most TV viewing and capture cards can only do NTSC.
> ATSC is the new HDTV standard based on a 19.4Mbit broadcast.
> We have nine such channels in Phoenix.
> The really cool thing about ATSC is since it is already digital, you simply
> store the original broadcast on the harddisk and play it back whenever and
> however you want.
> My HTPC should work as good as a Tivo or ReplayTV, except that mine is High
> Definition.
>
> Anyway, back on track.
> There will be two tuners in this prototype, one ATSC, one NTSC.
> The ATSC tuner card may be the trick when it comes to Linux.
> I have found the following cards:
> Telemann HiPix DTV-200 (I reviewed it and sent it back due to inability to
> time-shift)
> accessDTV (In my current prototype)
> MyHD MDP-100
> Hauppauge WinTV-HD
>
> None of these cards offer Linux drivers on their web sites.
> Do any exist from other sources?
> Are there any other ATSC tuner cards that work with Linux?

- --
numbered!
My life is my own - No. 6