Re: Elastic as FLOSS again?

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Stephen Partington
Subject: Re: Elastic as FLOSS again?
I am leery of a company that is willing to play with its open-source
licensing like that, For all of its evils Amazon seems to back anything it
releases as open-source and keep it that way.

This is an interesting about it (But by no means definitive)
https://coralogix.com/guides/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-vs-opensearch-key-differences/

On Tue, Sep 3, 2024 at 8:33 PM Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> der.hans via PLUG-discuss said on Tue, 3 Sep 2024 20:12:22 +0000 (UTC)
>
> >moin moin,
> >
> >Shay reportedly says Elastic is going to add AGPL to ES, so will be
> >Open Source again.
> >

> https://devclass.com/2024/09/02/elasticsearch-will-be-open-source-again-as-cto-declares-changed-landscape/
>
> Affero? Euuuuuu!
>
> Hey, here's a serious question from a webmaster, not a criticism. On
> this website they have a graphic of hands wielding poker chips on
> some kind of gambling table. Is this meant to convey that Elastic is
> gambling by this move, does it have some other meaning, or is it just a
> good looking graphic thrown in?
>
> During the past few months I've been reevaluating my thoughts on
> graphics on web pages I create.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt