Re: WordPress moving away from PHP to JavaScript

+ (text/html)
Author: Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss
To: PLUG-discuss
CC: Ryan Petris
Subject: Re: WordPress moving away from PHP to JavaScript
I can't find anything about this, however I will say that *the* reason why Wordpress is as ubiquitous as it has been is because:
1. It's easy to use, but possibly more importantly...
2. The backend is entirely written in PHP
Specifically #2 has allowed it to proliferate on cheap shared hosting sites that still today mostly only allow PHP. If you want to run NodeJS, Ruby, or other backends, you're generally limited to more expensive hosts for that such as Heroku or just running it yourself on a VPS. But those options are never going to be as easy as clicking "Install Wordpress" on a cPanel host that costs $2/month.

*If* wordpress does migrate away from PHP, I'd imagine someone or a group of people will come along to fork the last pure PHP version and "the community" will largely continue on with that fork, rather than "upgrading" to the non-PHP version.