Re: Ubuntu Server Device Name

+ (text/html)
Author: Arun Khan via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Arun Khan
Subject: Re: Ubuntu Server Device Name
On Tue, Jul 23, 2024 at 3:54 PM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of installing Ubuntu server 24.04 as a guest using
> VirtualBox on Win 10. To do so I have to deactivate my access control
> list on my router.
>
> This guest is in the initial process of being configured. I an on the
> very first question that is about the keyboard.
>
> I am looking at my firewall and is showing it has a device name of
> "UBUNTU-SERVER". It has an IP that I assume was provided by the router
> (dhcp).

That would be correct.

> Where does this device name of "UBUNTU-SERVER" come from? I assumed in
> the past this was the hostname.

Most installations will give a default hostname in the OS. Most systems,
when requesting an IP from a DHCP server, will declare their hostname.
Most likely your Ubuntu Guest OS has the hostname UBUNTU-SERVER. Check the
BASH prompt.
DHCP servers can also supply the device it's hostname but I don't think
that's the case in your setup.

> In the past when I have configured a guest using Ubuntu 24.04 server,
> after completing the install, the device name in my router says
> "UNKNOWN". It does not show the hostname.

Your router's DHCP server most likely ignores the client hostname.

Use Wireshark (on your desktop) to capture the DHCP sequence if you want to
dig deeper into what's going on.

Arun Khan