Re: Want to save your old computer? Try these 5 Linux distri…

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Want to save your old computer? Try these 5 Linux distributions
Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Mon, 15 Jul 2024 16:18:33 -0700

>This is the Linux I know!!
>
>https://www.zdnet.com/article/want-to-save-your-old-computer-try-these-5-linux-distributions/

The last time they made a computer with less than 1GB RAM was the
bargain basement computers from 2007. Normal computers of that time
came with 2GB or 4GB.

I think any distro can be made to exist within 1GB RAM. Just use a
lightweight user interface like Openbox, IceWM, ctwm, fvwm, and
probably many others. If you want a desktop environment, LXDE or LXQt
are tiny.

Then use a small browser like surf or luakit. I think even Chromium
will fit into 1GB if you use only one tab and don't browse to a site
with insane amounts of Javascript. Mutt, Alpine, Claws-Mail are good,
lightweight email clients. Use Inkscape or drawing.

The advantage of mainstream distros like Devuan, Debian, Void, Gentoo,
Funtoo and others is that they have a full compliment of application
packages. Last time I tried Puppy Linux (which was a long time ago), it
had few packages.

Just for fun I took my Void VM, set it to use 512MB, and ran it. I
installed Chromium and Libreoffice, ran Chromium, enabled Chromium's
memory saver, and pulled up both Buick.Com and Ford.Com, both are pigs.
Then I created a small Libreoffice file.

When browsing, the computer was noticeably slow and jerky, but we *are*
talking about 512MB here. I don't know whether I could have *installed*
Void with only 512MB, but I sure could run it. I installed it with 1MB
just fine. By the way, when I set it down to 256MB, the VM failed to
boot.

In wealthy nations like US, UK, and EU, it would be bizarre to find
somebody running a computer with less than 1GB of RAM, so I think those
tiny versions are aimed for people in third world countries. If you
have 1GB RAM you can run almost any distro if you carefully curate your
applications. Almost all desktops and laptops made in the last 10 years
have at least 4GB RAM.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com