Re: DNS Records

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: David Schwartz
Subject: Re: DNS Records
If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a simple way to host a static web page somewhere. I think you can do that on Dropbox. You can certainly do it with Amazon S3 very cheaply; configuring it can be a bit challenging, but I’ve seen several videos on YT that explain how to do it. (On S3 you’re mainly charged for download bandwidth and a tiny bit for storage. A simple static web page with a few images would cost you less than one cup of coffee per year.)

Otherwise, you need Apache or something similar running somewhere that can respond to https requests sent to yourdomain.com:80

Most registrars these days offer really cheap web hosting for $2-$3 per month paid on an annual basis that provide you with all of the basic services. For $25-$30 / year, I’d rather get a full suite of services on a reliable host that’s not likely to disappear because people are hosting all sorts of crap sites that attract DDOS attacks for spamming. This would include mail hosting. I’ve used NameSilo’s hosting and it’s pretty decent.

Note that while I prefer cPanel, they charge a lot to hosting vendors, so that hosting is always going to be a little more expensive than something that uses a different control panel, but there are some really good alternatives these days that are designed to mimic cPanel fairly closely.

IMHO, you get what you pay for, and if your time is worth anything, then pay a few bucks for a reliable host.

-David Schwartz