Re: I Tried AI for Programming and Article Writing

Author: George Toft via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: George Toft
Subject: Re: I Tried AI for Programming and Article Writing
Hi Keith,

Gen AI definitely has a place. Think of Gen AI as a meat grinder - stuff
goes in (training data) in various amounts (prompts), different stuff
comes out based on the blades and crank (more prompts). Maybe it's good,
maybe not.

I created a film using Gen AI. Human-recorded video. AI-created script.
AI voice. Human edited, titled, rendered. Took 15 seconds to write the
script, an hour to fix the typos and grammatical errors, and the rest
was just post-processing. Definitely quick.

I entered another film into the First Annual AIFilmFest last year - it
was accepted. In it, I enumerated the AI's used to make an earlier PSA.
11 AI's in total, and most people don't even know it.

Now, taking this back to another project near and dear to our lives ...

My job as a sysadmin was moved to Argentina in 2006 because they got
paid about 10% what I did. At that time, the company-wide
Server:sysadmin ratio was 15:1, and our team was 30:1.

My employer just fired the whole outsourcing company because we have
self-healing, automation, AI managing the servers, and we do it better
ourselves than Kyndryl. The Server:Sysadmin ratio now is approaching 350:1.

Gen AI will change the landscape like automobiles changed
transportation. Those that keep riding horses will go the way of the
wagons. To remain relevant means learning how a car works.

Fortunately for me, I shifted careers into something AI can't do because
many humans can't even do it. So I'll be safe until I age out and
retire. Kinda like equine search & rescue - can't take a car down that
trail - so the old ways will develop a niche market.

Regards,

George Toft