Re: Radeon RX580 and trouble with Ffmpeg

+ (text/html)
Author: Jim via PLUG-discuss
To: z via PLUG-discuss
CC: Jim
Subject: Re: Radeon RX580 and trouble with Ffmpeg
Thanks.  I've read that tonight.  Earlier just for the fun of it I
installed the Radeon drivers on winsows10.  I installed handbrake and
had it transcode the same video I experimented with earlier.  When I
chose the codec,  I found H.264 (AMD_VCE).  There was also an H.265
AMD_VCE option but I didn't try it.  Handbrake in Windows was
transcoding the video at around 100 to 110 fps and only using 1% of the
CPU.  I may not use hardware acceleration for encoding often, but I'd
like to have it available.  It doesn't matter to me if I use the open
source drivers or the proprietary ones.  I can't help but wonder why it
won't work in Linux.