Re: I'm looking for a good shared hosting web host

Author: Vikriti D'Vita via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Vikriti D'Vita
Subject: Re: I'm looking for a good shared hosting web host
You might also want to check out Hostgator.
They're hosting is incredibly cheap, and they do provide SSH access
unlike other similar services. Infact most people use their one click
CPanel installer to have smtp, https, and php, and postgres/mysql set
up. They have one click installers for mailing list software as well,
but I have not used them. I just use them for spinning up wordpress quickly.

I also just like getting a VPS from something like Digital Ocean or AWS
because of the transparency and simplicity, but the support there would
be non existent, and you'd have you set up everything yourself, which
might not be worth it depending on the requirements.

On 7/3/23 06:09, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For many years Troubleshooters.Com has been hosted by the spectacular
> Futurequest in Orlando Florida. Sadly, because of hurricanes, the
> pandemic, inflation, and insanely skyrocketing rents in Orlando,
> they're going out of business within a few days, so I need a new web
> host.
>
> What I absolutely need:
>
> * Reliability
> * ssh access
> * Already installed http, smtp, and firewall
> * At least 500 MB of space
> * Somewhere around 5 GB transfer per month
> * A reasonably effective way to get tech support
> * Ability to have Javascript in my web pages
> * A way to quickly redirect my whole site, such as .htaccess.
>     I need this ability because I need to shut down before every
>     hurricane. To see an example of what I'd redirect to, see
>     http://troubleshooters.com/troubleshooters_during_ian.htm

> What I'd also really like:
>
> * A non-distopian Terms of Service
> * Ability to run server side scripts (Perl etc)
> * Ability to serve https
> * Ability to serve multiple domain names with one contract
> * Good mailing list software that doesn't throttle too much
>
> I prioritize the preceding over price. Price is a secondary concern.
>
> I used Bluehost in the past, but found them not good enough, so I'm
> hoping for somebody better than Bluehost.
>
> If anyone knows of any good web hosts, please let me know.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Autumn 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore/thrive.htm

Vikriti D'Vita