Re: I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop
Most Southeast Asian (SEA) countries' standards of work hours would horrify
most Americans if applied, but same as there (likely) will be no canings
here, labor laws tend to frown on mandating 60 hour work weeks. Of course
they will frown on the lazy American's "only" working 40 hours a week,
taking breaks, or actually paying overtime with a certain
passive-aggressiveness anyways, such is the cost of doing business in
another country with different rules.

Likewise go work for a company, local or other, that has been taken over by
the various Indian outsourcing companies like Wipro, Tata, Infosys, or
others, you'll get a taste of the same SEA feel once they've adequately
metastasized within a company. There's always huge cultural boundaries
that make those relationships... interesting when applied domestically.

I've heard plenty of horror stories from Intel, Motorola, OnSemi,
Honeywell, and other domestic, even local AZ chip plants, I don't expect
TSMC would be that much worse operating here.

Of course you could always go work for the likes of good old homegrown JP
Morgan (or most any domestic financial org) for the real sweatshop/1984
experience
<https://www.businessinsider.com/jpmorgan-chase-employees-describe-fear-mass-workplace-data-surveillance-wadu-2022-5>.
Go 'Murica!

-mb

On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 5:45 PM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <