Re: computer recomendations

+ (text/html)
Author: James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: James Mcphee
Subject: Re: computer recomendations
just my 2 cents. 8 gig ram. 64 gig disk. something with few moving parts
and a cpu that doesn't run hot.

I run a pinebook w/ 4 gigs of ram and an arm chip, basically a tablet in
laptop form. it's fine for interwebs (because arm, firefox chugs, but
vivaldi is fiiiiiine. chrome is still 32 bit). the biggest issue i've had
with it is that the manjaro maintainer is m1-obsessed and breaks stuff like
screenshots for the rest of us. I do not recommend for people who don't
know how to hack firmware, yet. it's really close.

The real questions i have with laptops is what your use case is. Do you
need screen real estate? Do you suffer from hand issues and need external
keyboard/mouse, etc? Does weight bug you? Do you need to run it on your
lap, or do you prefer to set it on the table (heat plays into this, but you
can always just get a laptop tray even with a cooker). Do you want a good
camera/mic for discord, etc? If you don't really know, go so cheap with
the intention of tossing it for something better down the line. You REALLY
don't need much to run chrome if you have decent internet.

If you don't want to think about tossing it, and he doesn't mind putting it
on a little desk, look at expansion ability. Can it drive a good monitor,
does it have enough and the right kind of ports?

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 8:45 AM Michael via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> I got a buddy who needs a new computer. He is retired so only needs
> something for the internet. I am suggesting a chromebook but don't know
> what specs he should look for. What do you guys think?
>
> --

James McPhee