Re: Linux and Intel RST

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: Linux and Intel RST
That sounds like what they call "fakeraid" using the rst controller,
really there is no need to anymore. For probably 15 years now i've used
two disks in a linux mdraid volume for boot/rest in raid 1 for redundancy,
usually a crypt volume with luks atop the rest physical volume, and lvm
atop that, with ext4/xfs atop that. Still do this with nvme disks just
fine for a few generations of boxes.

I did setup my old desktop as a proxmox box with zfs doing my raid1
recently booting entirely off that (super dope, +++ for that), ymmv per
distribution, but that's an option as well for handling all the software
raid function as well. Ubuntu server with the deb installer always handled
setting up raid/crypt/lvm/fs just fine, haven't in a while personally, but
probably still does adequately. I diy normally with Arch, but it's what
drives this laptop I'm typing on currently with a pair of 980pro nvme
samsungs doing above.

-mb

On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 4:04 PM AZ Pete via PLUG-discuss <