Re: Skills for the future

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Skills for the future
said on Mon, 12 Dec 2022 18:44:10 -0700

>It's funny how some people talk about the no payroll tax states and
>then you find out they make it up with property tax.

Illinois has obscenely high property taxes, a fairly high state income
tax, and very high sales taxes. IMHO it's not a good place for a big
spender to live unless you make a lot of money (which is easier in
Chicago than most places). But it's flat and the cities are fairly
bicycle friendly, so if you want to save $20K/year of post-tax income,
Illinois is a pretty darn economical place to live. The wage scale
there is pretty high, and if you can get in a union, you've got it
made. Of course people our age are too old to get in a union.

I lived in Chicago my first 30 years, which is how I know this stuff.

SteveT

Steve Litt