Re: Software Portfolio

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: David Schwartz
Subject: Re: Software Portfolio
There’s something to be said for being at the right place at the right time.

I worked at Intel and left for a few months. When i returned to another division, I learned that about 2 dozen people I worked with there all turned in their resignations one Monday morning shortly after I’d left, including my former boss. They went and hired on with a new startup.

Among them were a bunch of guys who all graduated from a Master’s program at the same place at the same time. One of them got ostracized and was not invited to join. He got depressed. A mutual friend said he got a call from a headhunter to interview at Microsoft. This was 1981 before they had gone public. He went but wasn’t very excited about it. They apparently offerred him a huge stock option and sign-on bonus, and he finally agreed. He bacame the manager of a very high-profile team. When the two companies went public, the group of guys all became multi-millionaires overnight.

The guy they didn’t invite ended up getting enough Microsoft stock that it was worth more than all of his budies combined. He eventually went off to create a little startup of his own, which you’d know if you were around back then, and he made a shit-pile more when that company was acquired by a much bigger fish.

I knew these guys, and worked with them on a daily basis. They all would hang out several evenings a week playing D&D. They all left their work at the office. They made fun of me because I’d spend evenings reading computer mags like Byte and Dr. Dobb’s Journal. I also brought some parts home from work and built a little computer that was the size of a RPi that ran an 8088. That got me a job working with a group that was too cheap to buy a symbolic debugger so we had to debug all of the software looking at core dumps and assembly language generated by a C compiler. It wasn’t a lot of fun, and they kicked me out after 90 days.

I probably knew more people who becamse multi-millionaires with startups in the 80’s than people from high school who were killed in Viet Nam.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I wasn’t in either group.

Back then, friends would get together and kick ideas around, noodle around creating stuff, and a lot of the time it led to a startup.

Today, nobody really wants to hang out and talk about stuff unless you have some money to pony-up first.

I guess that’s because, you know … those FOSS projects people do in their spare time are like little lottery tickets, right?

-David Schwartz