Fully automatic install (FAI) isn't automated enough

+ (text/html)
+ publickey - EmailAddress(s=PrivateSeaBass@pm.me) - 0x7570D802.asc (application/pgp-keys)
Author: Seabass via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Seabass
Subject: Fully automatic install (FAI) isn't automated enough
Hello everyone.

I recently tried setting up an FAI server (fai-project.org) to PXE boot an automatic install of Linux to a machine.
There is one major problem, in my opinion:
It isn't automated enough....

To use the PXE functionality, one needs to either assign every MAC address in ISC-DHCP configs (and I know you can do a range of MAC addresses, I just don't know what to use since we have a variety of laptops) and I think the IP needs to be set in /etc/hosts.
(Source: [https://fai-project.org/fai-guide/\#\_a\_id\_bootdhcp\_a\_configuration\_of\_the\_dhcp\_daemon][https_fai-project.org_fai-guide_a_id_bootdhcp_a_configuration_of_the_dhcp_daemon] )

Alternatively, I can make a FAI USB that will search for the monitoring FAI server.
But this requires booting to the USB every time, which means moving the USB(s) across laptops as it gets figured out.
(Source: [https://fai-project.org/fai-guide/\#autodiscover][https_fai-project.org_fai-guide_autodiscover] )

So... Does anyone know a PXE install server that will install a Linux system and only needs the computer to boot through PXE to make it happen, and doesn't have a requirement to specify MAC addresses?

Or perhaps there is a way to make ISC-DHCP not need to care about the MAC address used..?
I dunno, at this point, let me know what you all think.

[https_fai-project.org_fai-guide_a_id_bootdhcp_a_configuration_of_the_dhcp_daemon]: https://fai-project.org/fai-guide/#_a_id_bootdhcp_a_configuration_of_the_dhcp_daemon
[https_fai-project.org_fai-guide_autodiscover]: https://fai-project.org/fai-guide/#autodiscover---------------------------------------------------
PLUG-discuss mailing list: