Re: Oracle's VirtualBox RANT

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Oracle's VirtualBox RANT
Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Tue, 15 Nov 2022 07:42:22 -0700

[snip]

>VirtualBox is a mess.

[snip]

>My expectation was that I could download and install VB then create a
>guest instance and configure my VM as I like, and in my case I want to
>have it have an IP on my local private network, and be able to put
>that IP in my browser and do some testing.

I've done just this with Qemu.

>VirtualBox in my opinion is what is wrong with technology. I've said
>it before and I'll say it again, technology has become too difficult.

The whole idea of virtual machines is blindingly difficult. If virtual
machines weren't so darn helpful, I wouldn't use them.

I used VirtualBox for a little while before switching to Qemu. I didn't
find VirtualBox any more difficult or complicated than Qemu. I switched
to Qemu for three reasons:

1) Your mileage may vary, but I found Virtualbox to be unstable and
crashy.

2) I prefer Qemu's shellscript paradigm to VirtualBox's point and click
paradigm. Indeed, preference of shellscripts over point and click
was one reason I migrated from Windows to Linux.

3) I don't like Ellisonware. Although I don't dislike Ellisonware as
much as Gatesware or Poetterware, I'd prefer not to have my workflow
depend on the whims of Larry Ellison.

Anyway, if you'd like to see how I solved your particualar problem with
Qemu, see http://troubleshooters.com/linux/qemu/nobs.htm . I have a
feeling you can use the VirtualBox equivalents to solve this problem.

Please understand documentation on virtual machines is ambigous,
contradictory, often false, based on single-setup anecdotes, etc, so it
stands to reason that something with so many components is incredibly
difficult to get right, under the circumstances.

SteveT

Steve Litt