Re: git can't read file

Author: Joseph Sinclair via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Joseph Sinclair
Subject: Re: git can't read file
First step is remove the git.log file, run git gc, and see if the error returns. The missing file issue can be transient, but can also be a case of file corruption; often due to using a remote filesystem that has synchronization issues (e.g. SMB).

If the error returns after removing the log file and rerunning git gc, then you can look for that file in the .git folder structure and see if there's a filesystem lock, file permission issue, or something similar blocking git from reading and modifying the file.