Why is PHP not a "real" language?

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Why is PHP not a "real" language?

Just in time to add another thread that might be as intense as the
sysd...etc thread.

For years I have heard that people say PHP is not a real language.

One guy says interpreted languages are not real programming languages,
they are scripting languages. I guess way back when I was an xBase
developer I must have not been a real programmer. Back in the day The
only compiled xBase was Clipper Summer 87 by Nantucket Corp. I think it
was possible to compile xBase code but I never did except with Clipper
Summer 87. I think Visual Fox was compiled...

Another says the barrier to entry makes it possible for non-professional
programmers to get hired and to mess up the code base. Isn't that a
hiring manager's issue?

I think PHP is a great language and a lot of others must think so too.

I really liked the decade long ride with PHP 5. I think 7 brought some
good changes in the area of speed and the removal of Register globals.

PHP must be doing something right because it is run by upwards of 80% of
the websites on the Internet.

I do think the PHP team is moving too fast. We now have version 8.

So what is wrong with PHP and where are we going in such a hurry?

And finally why does PHP have to be anything but simple stupid?