Re: Opportunity

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Re: Opportunity
<scroll>

On 2022-08-18 14:09, David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> [...]
> TECHNOLOGY that gives them a leg up on their competition: they have a
> dongle that plugs into the data plug inside the car and lets customers
> access the vehicles via an app on their phone. Someone can park the
> car wherever, put the keys in the glove box, exit the vehicle, lock it
> up and walk away. It’s ready for the next renter. That is, you
> don’t need someone there to collect and hand-off the keys when
> renters come and go.
>
> Forget the “doom and gloom” nonsense. OPPORTUNITY lies in
> observing TRENDS and capitalizing on them. Phoenix and Arizona are
> going to see a surge of nearly 500k tourists this coming winter due to
> the Super Bowl, and they have already set aside a LOT OF $$$ to spend
> while they’re here. They are going to spend those $$$ regardless of
> what the nightly horse-race reports might be saying at that time. The
> daily horse-race reports are irrelevant! If you’re watching them,
> then STOP! Watch the larger trends.
>
> Intel is the largest semiconductor company in the world. Apple is no
> longer using Intel’s chips. That leaves a big hole to fill in
> Intel’s sales. They’ve known about it for a while now, and
> they’ve been busy plugging that hole. At the same time, there’s a
> world-wide “chip shortage”. Seems like a PERFECT OPPROTUNITY FOR
> INTEL, right?
>
> The new legislation that was just passed contains a bunch of
> “incentives” for consumers in the form of tax credits for buying
> EVs. But more than that, it’s a cosmic-sized CROW-BAR being held
> over the heads of major corporations who have spent the past 30 years
> doing all they can to CUT MANUFACTURING COSTS by MOVING OFF-SHORE.
> These tax credits will ONLY be available to companies who MOVE THEIR
> PRODUCTION BACK ON-SHORE!
>
> A lot of them are going to scream and holler like stuck pigs and try
> everything they can to get politicians to make their lives easier.
>
> And I guarantee there are plenty of startups who are going to JUMP AT
> THE OPPORTUNITIES being created by this new legislation to sneak into
> the holes being created by these OLD-SCHOOL LAZY-ASS COMPANIES who
> don’t want to change.
>
> Congress has thrown down a challenge to the entire TECH community:
> INNOVATE OR DIE!
>
> If you’re a company that has bet your future on Li-Ion battery
> technology, then this certainly looks like DOOM-AND-GLOOM.
>
> If you’re a kid about to attend college and are wondering what to
> get into: consider BATTERY CHEMISTRY. This will be a GREAT choice for
> a solid 20-year career path today. And it will be there regardless of
> what politicians end up doing, because the big fat lazy companies with
> all the money have been milking Li-Ion technology and invested very
> little in INNOVATION. That’s the way of the world. And it creates
> HUGE OPPORTUNITIES in its wake.
>
> I have no idea what Linux has to do with any of this, but the subject

David,

You provide a bunch to think about.

What does this have to do with Linux? We are on a Linux list and I
would guess most are not going to retool.

I'm 66 and do not think I will retool, so I am looking at some simple
things that might make my life better while we enter a period of chaos.
I am a PHP programmer and I know less about Linux than I would like to.
For me the opportunities have to be in the realm of LAMP/LEMP.

PHP is so ingrained that it will be around for decades. Eventually it
will go the way of COBOL... AND COBOL is still around. I think a person
could make a career being a COBOL developer.

So I think the question is what are the opportunities for the Linux
admins and the associated technologies?

> [...]
>>> and
>>> GPU chips and cards. There’s a side-effect in that nobody is
>>> going
>>> to be hijacking their GPUs for other purposes.
>>> Intel apparently didn’t want to lose the revenues they’ve been
>>> earning from their GPU chip sales to crypto miners and, well,
>>> Apple is
>>> no longer using either Intel’s CPUs or GPUs.
>>> So while some say the economy is “crashing”, the 10 largest
>>> corporations in the world are all reporting record profits and
>>> growth.
>>> The stuff politicians are doing to continue long-term policies
>>> that
>>> enable corporations to siphon off more and more money from
>>> consumers
>>> is appalling, and may well lead to a lot more discomfort and pain
>>> for
>>> consumers, but certainly not from corporate shareholders and
>>> execs. If
>>> you want to profit from that shift, then buy stocks in these large
>>> and
>>> growing companies. Warren Buffet has large holdings in them, as
>>> well
>>> as Apple. He also owns a large utility company in Nevada.
>>> Speaking of utility companies, one thing that is surely going to
>>> help
>>> “crash” the economy (for consumers) over the coming decade is
>>> the
>>> increasing growth of EVs and their need to get their fuel from the
>>> power grid. The same power grid that’s going to be used to power
>>> computers and crypto miners. Some with politically-motivated
>>> arguments
>>> might see it as convenient that states like Arizona have passed
>>> laws
>>> that give utility companies the power to punish consumers who want
>>> install their own renewable energy sources and batteries to become
>>> independent of the power grid. Yes, we’re talking about those
>>> folks
>>> who’d like to unhook from the inevitable increases we’re going
>>> see in the cost of electricity, especially since the cost of fuel
>>> power generators is also skyrocketing — and the profits from
>>> those
>>> price increases is nearly all flowing into the bank accounts of
>>> the
>>> monarchy of Saudi Arabia (with the help of elected officials in
>>> Congress, both past and present, members of both political
>>> parties).
>>
>> I have been pondering the grid issue. Was not long ago the
>> electricity vendors where complaining about the load that cellular
>> phones and other devices where putting on the grid.
>>
>>> The tea leaves are pretty clear to many readers: there’s a big
>>> shift
>>> towards more and more things in our life that require electricity
>>> run, and it’s inevitable that the cost of said power is going to
>>> up. But the price of gas is also going up, which is contributing