Re: Open Source License

Author: der.hans via PLUG-discuss
To: Retro64XYZ via PLUG-discuss
CC: der.hans
Subject: Re: Open Source License
Am 09. Aug, 2022 schwätzte Retro64XYZ via PLUG-discuss so:

moin moin,

If it's a small example, then it probably really doesn't matter, but it's
good practice to add a license. If you use CC for the blog, then I think
that can also adequately cover a small amount of code for an example.

> If you REALLY don't care, use the FreeBSD license.

I generally prefer copyleft and avoid that which isn't, but if your goal
is to encourage people to use your examples and run with them, then Aaron
is right. A permissive license such as the FreeBSD license will have the
least encumbrances.

If you use a BSD license, please use a newer version without the
advertising clause.

BTW, answering this has gotten me to think about the code examples in my
own presentations and blog posts. Thanks for asking!

Also, thanks for creating documentation :).

ciao,

der.hans

> If you care a little, use the latest GPL.
>
> On 8/9/22 14:42, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am writing some source code as an example that will make it into a
>> number of blog posts on my blog.  I do not care if anyone uses this code
>> for any purpose.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how I copyright it?
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Keith

# https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
# "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."