Re: Trouble Installing Ubuntu 22.04 from USB Stick

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: Trouble Installing Ubuntu 22.04 from USB Stick
On 2022-07-20 14:56, Mark Phillips via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> I have an older System 76 laptop running 18.04 in a lvm across 2
> disks (1 TB and 2 TB).
>
> I downloaded 22.04 desktop iso, verified it, installed it on a USB
> drive [...] When I try to install it, I get as far as the 5th screen,
> Installation Type, where I select the 1 TB drive and hit continue.
> Nothing happens after that. I had selected normal installation,
> download updates, and erase disk. [...]
>
> Could this have anything to do with the lvm currently installed
> across the two drives? Should I go into the "try" part of the USB
> drive, open gparted, and reformat the two internal drives, then start
> the installation again?

This is what I'd try. Some part of the installer is probably scanning
for stuff, getting confused by seeing this LVM setup, and refusing to
erase the partition table and/or LVM metadata. If nothing else, you can
then test your "restore all non-OS data from backups" procedure this
way, which is always a useful thing to do.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity