Trouble Installing Ubuntu 22.04 from USB Stick

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Phillips via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Mark Phillips
Subject: Trouble Installing Ubuntu 22.04 from USB Stick
I have an older System 76 laptop running 18.04 in a lvm across 2 disks (1
TB and 2 TB). I have backed up all the data, and would like to install
22.04 just on the 1 TB SSD, and then replace the 2 TB with a 4 TB and the
backed up data (/home/mark).

I downloaded 22.04 desktop iso, verified it, installed it on a USB drive,
and booted the USB drive. 22.04 comes up and I can "try" it. When I try to
install it, I get as far as the 5th screen, Installation Type, where I
select the 1 TB drive and hit continue. Nothing happens after that. I had
selected normal installation, download updates, and erase disk. I know
nothing is happening because after waiting 10 minutes on that screen, I can
still boot into the old 18.04 installation, so the 1 TB drive has not
changed. I did this multiple times with different iso downloads, different
USB drives, and created the bootable USB on different computers.

Could this have anything to do with the lvm currently installed across the
two drives? Should I go into the "try" part of the USB drive, open gparted,
and reformat the two internal drives, then start the installation again?

All I have connected to the computer is power, an Ethernet cable (verified
to be working), the USB boot drive, and a USB mouse (the internal trackpad
is broken).

Thanks!

Mark