Re: Need help speeding up a backup

+ (text/html)
Author: Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Eric Oyen
Subject: Re: Need help speeding up a backup
Mark,
This sounds a lot like you are on a USB 2.0 enabled port. It’s that or there is something a bit off about your external drive that you are backing up to. I have had recent experience with so-called cheap external backup devices, including a 1 TB external SSD and several external 1 and 2 TB external Hdd’s. In the case of the external SSD, it turned out to be a fake unit with the controller reprogrammed to emulate a 1 tB drive. It was so slow that formatting it took 9 days and it failed on verification. I ended up having to use several open source windows tools (yeah, windows, UGH! But that was what was available) and determined that the SSD was fake. I let the provider know that he might be in for trouble once I explained the situation.

Btw, what is the brand of that external backup device and model? There are some tools that can be used to test the speed of the link/controller and also the read and write speed of the drive itself. Do you have access to a different external in the 2 TB size that you know actually works well? If all else fails, you can always go to Walmart and spend a few bucks on an external that is larger than you need (I think they have 2, 4 and 12 TB models available). I have several of the 1 TB models here and they are all blazing fast on a USB C (3.1) port. Takes less than an hour to properly format and I’ve used one for backup on my OS X machine so far.

Anyway, let us know how it turns out.

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Research and Development Dept.