Re: Disabling special keys

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: Disabling special keys
On 2022-07-13 09:42, Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> On 7/12/22 22:41, Jim via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> About a year ago, I  wanted to be able to access the degree (°)
>> without launching an app to show  the seldom used characters then
>> finding the one I wanted and copying it and pasting it.  I found
>> a way to modify the windows key so if I hold it down while
>> pressing o twice, I get °.

> Under system setting go to input devices and then keyboard. Under
> the keyboard settings click on the advanced tab and then check
> Configure keyboard options. Then scroll down to "Position of Compose
> key" and expand that.

To make this more general, this key is Multi_key, and I explained how
to map a key to it just a few days ago on this list. Start xev from a
terminal. While xev is running, push the key you want and remember
which keycode it generates, something like "keycode 105 (keysym 0xff20,
Control_R)". Then do "xmodmap -e 'keycode 105 = Multi_key' ". Now
holding this key and pushing o twice will give you a degree sign. There
are a ton of mappings for lots of symbols in the
/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose file.

Also, in the default mappings for X11, the Windows key is usually the
Super modifier. This is used for the special desktop effects in KDE,
lie Super-+ for zoom in, Super-- for zoom out, Super-* for "toggle mouse
click info", etcetera. System Settings->Workspace Behavior->Desktop
Effects.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity