Should an opensource dev know Linux

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Should an opensource dev know Linux

Hi,

I'm a PHP developer and always thought all opensource developers had at
least some knowledge of Linux.

Recently I watched a YouTube video that stated otherwise. The presenter
said it is important to know Linux which will set one apart from the
crowd.

I have been "messing"/"playing"/"working" with Linux since around 1998
or so. Learned a lot and have a lot to learn. Thought all opensource
developers had at least a fundamental understanding of Linux.

Is it true most do not know Linux?

And is it true that it is good, for a dev, to be able to put they have
basic familiarity of Linux on their Resume?

Thanks in advance!!