Re: What do I need to know to run Linux as my desktop?

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Re: What do I need to know to run Linux as my desktop?

On 2022-04-17 08:43, Matthew Crews via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> On 4/17/22 07:14, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> Had to move to Windows for business reasons about 5 or 6 years ago.  I
>> see no reason that I cannot return to Linux on my desktop.
>>
>> I use Ubuntu for servers so I am thinking of moving to Ubuntu desktop
>> which is Gnome.  Please no flame wars.
>>
>> My question is what do I need to know to run Linux as my desktop.  I
>> know I will need to understand and have working knowledge of CUPS,
>> however what else?  I am hoping to be able to get my scanner working.
>>
>> What else?
>>
>> I am using VirtualBox so I can do a trial run.
>
> The only three things that you really need to watch out for are age of
> hardware, networking drivers and graphics drivers.
>
> Age of Hardware: Ubuntu doesn't usually work with cutting edge
> hardware, but anything thats around a year or so older should be fine.

Should not be a problem. I am using a box I might have bought 8 years
ago. It ran Linux Mint just fine. I did have to add a graphics card
because Dell only has one port on this box and I wanted to run multiple
monitors.

I have a bunch of old but adequate hardware. I do not plan on replacing
anything until it is no longer viable. Might be another 5, 6, 7, 8
years, maybe longer.

I have 2 - i5's with 4 cores, 16GB of RAM, and SSD drives. Maybe they
will last me until I die... I'm old but I do not plan on dying anytime
soon.

> Networking: Since you plan on using Ubuntu, give it a go with the live
> CD and see if networking works out-of-the-box. If it does, you are
> golden.

I'm using VirtualBox so I can do the trials. I do see the value is a
live CD run.

> Graphics: If you are using NVidia graphics, it can be a bit
> complicated to get up and running, but (IIRC) Ubuntu does a good job
> setting you up. If you are using Intel graphics, you will work out of
> the box. If you are using AMD graphics, the main hiccup is if you are
> using an older card. Newer cards should just work. Older cards (more
> than 5 years) will require some work.

Not sure what card I have.

Thank you for your feedback!!