Re: What do I need to know to run Linux as my desktop?

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Snyder, Alexander J
CC: techlists, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: What do I need to know to run Linux as my desktop?

On 2022-04-17 08:23, Snyder, Alexander J wrote:
> "Working knowledge of CUPS" is probably not required. Been using tons
> of flavors over the decade and I still have no functional
> understanding of what CUPS is, beyond what the acronym means.
>
> For years, I've used HP printers and scanners, and if they haven't
> worked out of the box, then HP has a Linux installation utility that
> has never failed me.
>
> Personally I do not prefer Debian/Ubuntu, but that's a Pepsi vs. Coke
> argument ... if you're familiar with it, stick with it. Although you
> may find other Ubuntu spins like Mint or Cinnamon more pleasing to the
> eye. I've never used either, per the mention above, but I read
> reviews.

About 6 years ago I was running Mint Cinnamon before my switch. I had
tried Kubuntu and did not like it. I'm thinking simple - Ubuntu for
servers and Ubuntu desktop (Gnome). Maybe I will not like it and move
back to Mint.

I understand Mint forked Gnome 2 and modified it to create Cinnamon.

We will see what happens....

Thanks for your feedback!!