Re: Could someone show me how to compile things from github…

Author: Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matt Graham
Subject: Re: Could someone show me how to compile things from github?

On 2021-10-19 09:19, Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> This one is kind of a project per project evaluation.
> but basic steps are usual git clone the repo, find the makefiles
> etc, build, install.

You should probably not git clone the thing unless you're going to be
contributing to the project. Downloading the release file (the .tar.xz
file mentioned in the other branch of the thread) will take up less disk
space, and you don't need the history and comments if you're not a
project developer.

Darktable is in GTK+ and requires Lua, cmake, and I think libxml as
well. I believe you should start off with "apt-get install lua
gtk-devel cmake" at the very least before doing ./build.sh . The
build.sh script should check for all dependencies and die if there are
missing headers or libraries. Install the missing stuff, then try
again, repeat until it works. I think it puts the resulting binary in
/opt for some reason by default, you may want to fix that with a better
--prefix option to build.sh before running that.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity