Re: Could someone show me how to compile things from github?

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael
Subject: Re: Could someone show me how to compile things from github?
Okay, I went into the darktable section of github and read the README.md
file and from that I would say it is perty straight forward. Seeing as how
I have darktable installed currently I won't think I need to worry about
dependencies so I would uninstall the current version of darktable and then
(on the README.md) go to the 'Get the source section' and then start
building. Is this correct?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:23 PM Retro64XYZ via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/download/release-3.6.1/darktable-3.6.1.tar.xz
>
> sudo apt install checkinstall
>
> tar -zxvf darktable-3.6.1.tar.gz
>
> cd darktable-3.6.1
>
> ./configure
>
> make
>
> sudo checkinstall
>

> If it fails, you probably need some supporting items. Never do a sudo make
> install on a debian or ubuntu based system without using checkinstall
> instead. You can automatically roll back or upgrade without issues if you
> use checkinstall.
> On 10/19/21 09:19, Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>
> This one is kind of a project per project evaluation.
> but basic steps are usual git clone the repo, find the makefiles etc,
> build, install.
>
> Each project individually will have a different process.
>

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 8:47 AM Michael via PLUG-discuss <
> > wrote:
>
>> I have never compiled a program from github. Could someone show me how to
>> compile darktable from github?
>>
>> --
>

> --
>
> Stephen