Re: mouse weirdness sort of solved (was: re: my debian machi…

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: mouse weirdness sort of solved (was: re: my debian machine)
Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss said on Thu, 26 Aug 2021 16:44:26 -0700

>[snip]
>> [0] And confuse people. My mouse has left, middle, right, wheel up,
>> wheel down, and 2 mystery buttons. xmodmap reports 10 buttons.
>> Mystery button 1 reports a button 9 event. Mystery button 2 switches
>> to the next window and does not report a button event. *shrug*
>
>I've partially solved this. The first button consistently reports a
>button 9 event. When button 9 is being held, pushing the second
>button reports a button 8 event. Pushing the second button by itself
>produces a KeyPress event for Shift_L, another for Meta_L, then a
>KeymapNotify that probably clears the Shift modifier, then KeyReleases
>event for ISO_Left_Tab and Meta_L. Which is interesting but not
>particularly useful. I still don't know where buttons 6, 7, and 10
>are on this thing.

That's the craziest nonsense I've ever heard out of a mouse. Is that
mouse programmable or something? Can I safely assume an ordinary 3
button mouse does the expected, not the craziness of your mouse?

If the 3 button mouse does something crazy, is there a .conf file for
your mouse? The behavior you report is el-nutzo, meshugana, loco, and
out of the ordinary.

SteveT

Steve Litt