Re: blew system to bits

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: blew system to bits
As much as you randomly blow up your system Mike, you should embrace a
separate nas (network attached storage) solution. If you want something
simple, get a qnap or synology nas device, at least a 2 disk system, and
use something like unison/rsync to replicate important data over cifs/nfs.
You can buy cheaper nas systems on ebay, usually random chinese hardware
suited to running freenas or like, but however you do it, have a copy of
your data when experimenting and deleting anything.

If I wiped out my home directory without a backup, I'd lose 20+ years of
100+ different companies I've worked at since late 90's (ie. my
livelihood), not to mention almost 30 years of personal data, and just not
an option. I replicate my data hourly between 2 laptops, 1 desktop, and 2
synology nas systems that real-time replicate data directly. If I did
screw up that bad, I'd just kill replication and move a copy of the data
back from my nas.

Last time I did something like that almost 20yr ago, I was moving files
around, I accidentally started moving all files from /sbin into another
directory, fubar'd the system (at the time, a monitoring server that I ran
Cox Business Services off of), but learned real quick the importance of
thinking before doing. Slow. It. Down. Think about what you're doing
before hitting that enter button. It's much the same when I'm doing
network deployments to enterprise devices, or just mucking around with my
workstation. Don't be that guy if you're ever in a position to admin
business systems.

-mb

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 2:12 PM Michael via PLUG-discuss <