blew system to bits

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael via PLUG-discuss
To: PLUG
CC: Michael
Subject: blew system to bits
OOPS. I hit return after typin rm -rf it deleted everything in /home. So I
restored my system and now this happens:
bmike1@bmike1-desktop:~$ sudo apt install gparted
[sudo] password for bmike1:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
gparted-common
Suggested packages:
gpart reiser4progs udftools
E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock. It is held by process
84872 (synaptic)
N: Be aware that removing the lock file is not a solution and may break
your system.
E: Unable to lock directory /var/cache/apt/archives/
bmike1@bmike1-desktop:~$

it happened before and as a solution killed the roces. It happened again so
I must find a solution. WIll someone share their wisdom?

--