Re: LFS

Author: Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Eric Oyen
Subject: Re: LFS
hmmm. Sounds like a package needs adding. Btw, closed captioning is not proprietary. It is in such wide use that it has become ubiquitous. However, if someone on the gnome project is trying to claim this, then it’s time to educate them on the facts of life.

Also, I have had to deal with a great many developers over the years. As soon as I mention accessibility, I get the impression of their eyes glazing over and then I get the deflection to something else. One developer (for the Chinese Independent Radio Project) literally demanded cash money before he would even consider accessibility outside of Linux, even though the python libraries for accessibility are freely available and cross platform. When I pointed that out, he still made the demand for $10k AND he also made the argument about maintaining 3 different code bases (which was a lie as he only had one and used a cross compiler). After I pointed out the error in his statement, he banned me from the chirp mailing list permanently, that is, until some others pointed out his actions could cause significant issues within the community (I was not the only blind person on that list). I was quietly (and without even an apology) invited back into the list. However, to this day, I read that list only and don’t bother to comment.

So, yeah, if a developer in the gnome project says that closed captioning is proprietary tech, call them on it in a public fashion. It isn’t because versions of it are used on YouTube, rumble, Facebook, twitter, and many other platforms. Also, last I checked, it was considered open source.

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild,, disability alliance committee.