Odd sort of high pitched distortion with sound playback in n…

Author: Steven via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Steven
Subject: Odd sort of high pitched distortion with sound playback in new ubuntu install
So I recently bit the bullet and replaced my 2013 laptop with a new one
(a Dell Inspiron 15 3505 with a Ryzen 3700U). In nearly every way it has
been a massive improvement over the old laptop (four cpu cores, 16 GB of
ram, and solid state drives meant installing the OS and booting are
faster than I have been used to). That said, initially I'd installed the
latest Ubuntu LTS (20.04) only to discover that neither the AMD nor
Cirrus Logic sound were recognized. Going into the sound settings the
output device was set to "Dummy Output." I did some searching, found
this was apparently a not uncommon occurrence even if I'd not heard of
it before, but none of the solutions that were suggested worked.

So, I updated the install to 21.04 at which point Ubuntu was willing to
recognize that there was an HD Audio Controller present and I now get
sound. Only there's a slight distortion in it that I'm not quite sure
how to describe. A sort of ringing/crackle/echo on the high pitched
sounds. Lowering the volume seems to help slightly but it's still
present, and this is whether I'm using the built in speakers or
headphones. I'm charging up a pair of bluetooth headphones I have to see
if it's present there or if that dodges around the issue. Anyway, does
anyone have suggestions on what might be wrong? I've done more searches
but it seems the pages I'm finding are nearly all people talking about
not getting any sound. I'm inclined to think it might be a driver issue
seeing as how I'm not noticing the same distortion if I boot into Windows.