Re: Running/managing my own server

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt, golugtech
Subject: Re: Running/managing my own server
James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss said on Sun, 11 Jul 2021 14:54:16 -0700

>Just as general advice. Keep everything private, except the very
>minimum you need otherwise. Keep everything disposable, except for
>what you absolutely need to persist. Keep everything isolated, except
>exactly what communication you need. Doing this will take a LOT of
>learning about the systems and how they work, but you should consider
>it the base starting point to avoid turning into a host for various
>bad actors. Until you feel you won't expose more than you should, you
>should probably keep everything locked up in a private network on vm's
>that you don't mind recycling on the regular.

Hi James,

Thanks for the preceding succinct and true advice. I'll keep it in mind
from now on.

I think a corollary to your advice is to install only the software you
absolutely need on the server. This minimizes the ports needing special
attention in the firewall, and also makes it easier to follow the
advice you gave above.

I'm copying my home LUG, GoLUG, because I think this is such good
information.

Thanks!

SteveT

Steve Litt