Re: Running/managing my own server

Author: Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Eric Oyen
Subject: Re: Running/managing my own server
You can also use virtual environments like VMWARE. I did this for a long time here at home and had success with it. I had one bare metal machine with 32 GB of ram, 2 core CPU and half a terabyte of storage spread across 10 drives. That machine ran easily 8 VMWare instances with linux ubuntu being the host system. One hardware lan interface was left unconfigured in the host OS and then configured inside a VMWARE instance running OpenBSD. A virtual lan bridge was also configured connected to the other external lan (configured by the host OS). The virtual lan connected as the second interface to the OpenBSD instance and I used that for DNS, firewall and DHCP for the internal lan. Several other instances included linux for a web server, an NFS server for NAS operations, a remote windows XP instance that could be logged into by any of the workstations in the house, one instance that acted as the PXE server for thin client stuff and several other instances including one for remote compiling jobs. Frankly, if you don’t have a lot of hardware laying around, this is the best possible use of your hardware to run multiple tasks.

Hope this gives you an idea or two. :)

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Infrastructure support division.