Running/managing my own server

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Running/managing my own server

Hi,

Thank you for all your insight and help getting my home server up and
running!!

As you may or may not know I am a PHP developer. Over the years I have
had ample opportunity to work on LAMP servers. I was exposed to a lot
and I have a ton to learn.

I currently have a VPS in a data center and a full service PHP hosting
server in my home office that runs Let's Encrypt/BIND/Postfix/Dovecot as
well. I got it to work and need to get back and figure out how it
works. I have more questions than answers.

This morning the thought popped into my mind that running my own
production server might be possible. I'm thinking I can ditch Plesk at
some point and run on the bare metal (VPS). I know I have a ton to
learn. The home server is great for learning. I would never host a
production website out of my home.

I bought 3 books - Bind/Postfix/Dovecot and have subscribed to those
lists as well.

I'm thinking I may be able to learn enough in 6 months to manage a VPS
w/o Plesk. Then, maybe later I can run a hardware server.

I am talking about a virtual PHP host running Ubuntu LTS, LAMP, Let's
Encrypt, BIND, Postfix, Dovecot, and possibly some webmail app. Not
sure of anything else I would need. Is there more?

We can throw in learning Apache SPF and NGINX.

1) First question is this a reasonable idea or am I crazy?

2) 2nd question is what skills would I need?

Thanks!!

Keith