Re: Linux Friendly Color Printer

Author: der.hans via PLUG-discuss
To: Phil Waclawski via PLUG-discuss
CC: der.hans
Subject: Re: Linux Friendly Color Printer
Am 30. Jun, 2021 schwätzte Phil Waclawski via PLUG-discuss so:

moin moin,

> HP does really seem to work well with Linux. However in our super dry
> climate I'd almost recommend a laser printer instead of an inkjet. They are

HP plays nice with Linux, but plays printer firmware games and locks you
out of using your printer. I had bought multiple HP inkjets over the
years, but got tired of their toner games.

I also got tired of dry toner.

> more expensive but the toner seems to last a long time when it's really
> dry. The same cannot be said of inkjets

After asking on list I ended up getting a brother laser printer / scanner. For
printing it worked fine in Ubuntu. For debian, I had to look something up,
but I don't remember details.

For the scanner, it's a lost cause without downloading their proprietary
binary package. I just pulled my HP out of the closet to scan until
gravity introduced the glass bed to momentum. I now have a bootable USB
drive and a spare laptop with no network connection for when I need to
scan.

Note, the recommendations on the list were for brother printers, not for
brother scanners, so the list did well for me.

According to the scanner projects many other scanners work with common
tools.

ciao,

der.hans

# https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org