Re: zfs encryption + boot + world + dog

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: zfs encryption + boot + world + dog
I've looked at the spec for your thinkpad box recommended before, it's a
beast for sure, but really down on intel these days. Intel+nvidia gpu has
_NEVER_ worked for me, and just angers me to contemplate wasting money to
try again for a non-crap intel gpu, I've never been able to make it work
even reasonably well without more detrimental bugs. Fsck prime and the
whole multi-gpu shenanigans. I'm hoping to avoid that with an AMD cpu/gpu.

I'd really like a decent AMD laptop honestly, but they always seem watered
down in comparison to intel's, lacking in some/many ways. Case in point,
looking at these from a random post for a linux supported intel or amd
laptop: https://slimbook.es/en/prox15-en#info

Close, but the AMD version only has 1x m2 disk slot vs. the intel with 2x
disk slots. I like raid, I come from enterprise, I expect disks will
fail. Use of good samsung ssd's has lessened this pain for me, but still
redundant disks is an ask. Also AMD is missing Thunderbolt features that
remain an Intel-only thing. I'm not even entirely sure how compatible
straight usb-c is to thunderbolt, but i rather like the use of docks and
accessories even on my older xps15.

I'm probably still annoyed from when Lenovo bought IBM's old thinkpad name
to reuse, and just see a janky Chinese substitute they try to pawn off at a
premium for the name. Kind of like when people buy a "British" Jaguar or
Land Rover vehicle now that is owned by Tata in India these days, and
wonder why they break down even more than before. Most I assume haven't
been a part of outsourcing efforts what so ever to witness those debacles.

-mb

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 7:30 AM Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss <