Re: BIND9 on Ubuntu 20.04lts

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: BIND9 on Ubuntu 20.04lts
It sounds like bind doesn't like or is loading your zone file for
keiththewebguy.com, you should be able to nslookup/host/dig pointing at the
local server first to make sure it works, and then see it externally from
anywhere outside via the same. Next is to make sure you point your
registrar's glue records to point over to your server with proper name
server and soa records. They need to know how to phone home via the glue's
to find where to reference the domain from. Until you can resolve your
domain even from the same box, don't worry about outside. Debug bind logs
first, plenty of how-to's out there to follow.

Honestly, hosting DNS is far more hassle than worth I found long ago -
better off using your registrar dns, where I used to use godaddy for DNS,
and now google. I'm not too proud to let them have an easy button ui for
me these days. Also, DNS can be highly abused to generate a lot of traffic
at times, so as much as even cox might say "unlimited", it's all fun and
games until you run over their perception of "expected use", which you
never know, particularly with bind vulnerabilities. Lots of small udp
packets cause issues for firewalls and routers (particularly soho hardware
kit), best to leave this sort of thing to a real isp imho. I've seen folks
self-host dns as an experiment and get massive bills for doing so over the
years several times.

-mb

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 12:38 PM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <