Re: PLUG chat future options

Author: der.hans via PLUG-discuss
To: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
CC: der.hans
Subject: Re: PLUG chat future options
Am 22. May, 2021 schwätzte Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss so:

moin moin Steve,

> der.hans via PLUG-discuss said on Fri, 21 May 2021 07:43:18 +0000 (UTC)
>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> I have established #PLUGaz channels on Libera.chat and OFTC IRC
>> networks. I also created a #PLUG room on Matrix.
>>
>> https://www.Libera.chat/
>>
>> #PLUGaz on irc.Libera.chat:6697
>
> Thanks der.hans!
>
> I want to do the same thing for my local LUG, but couldn't find
> instructions complete enough to cookbook the task. So let me ask you
> some questions:
>
> 1) Is your #PLUGaz channel on Libera.chat a project channel, a
> community channel, or an informal channel?

Didn't know those were options. Guess I have more home work. Thanks :(

:)

> 2) Did you sign up using an IRC client like Hexchat or irssi, etc?

I used Hexchat for this.

I created the channel, then per suggestions from others registered it.

Looking at what I did, it was something like this:

/msg ChanServ register #channel
# invite ChanServ to the channel to preserve the channel if everyone
# leaves
/msg ChanServ set #channel guard on
# op self, set topic, deop self
/msg ChanServ op #channel
/topic "Veni Vidi Wiki"
/msg ChanServ deop #channel

I need to learn more about setting up founder status. I don't know if what
I did for another channel is correct.

I also got suggestions for mothballing the old channel, will try to go
through those tonnight.

> 3) What, if any, activities were required that couldn't be done on an
> IRC client?

Do you mean for the registration or for our group chat activities?

For nick registration on Libera.chat, I was sent an email message with a
code that I gave to NickServ via IRC msg.

For nick registration on OFTC, I had to use a link on a web site and allow
a bunch of Google JavaScript for the captcha, which was rather annoying.

Everything else was via IRC.

> 4) Could you please list your creation/activation activities, in order,
> needed to create your channel?

Ooops, I hadn't read this far before I started answering, see above :).

ciao,

der.hans

> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Spring 2021 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful
> Technologist http://www.troubleshooters.com/techniques

# https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
# Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.
# We grow old by deserting our ideals.
# Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm