Re: IRC network takeover

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: IRC network takeover
Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss said on Thu, 20 May 2021 23:14:51 -0700

>Hmmm, someone find out what hardware is needed to host it, and help me
>to get it and I can host from my business class circuit here.

Hi Eric,

This is just a guess, but I'd imagine a Raspberry Pi 4 can handle the
load. It's nothing but text, short text at that, limited by the typing
speed of participants.

>Hell, with a bit of help, I can probably even run it as a VMware
>instance on a machine I have sitting here doing nothing.

I'm a qemu guy, not VMware, so I can't help you, but I'd imagine a VM
with a 1Ghz single core, 3GB RAM, and a 120GB drive would handle it
handily. If you want to archive, the drive would need to be bigger.

SteveT

Steve Litt