Re: Editing firefox.desktop

+ (text/html)
Author: Steve B via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Steve B
Subject: Re: Editing firefox.desktop
Success - I could not get any farther than what I posted the other day
using ~./local/share/applications/sandfox.desktop, but I achieved 100%
success by editing /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop.

Under the main {Desktop Entry] I appended "sandbox" to the Actions
parameter and then created a new [Desktop Action sandbox] submenu with the
lines:
[Desktop Action sandbox]
Name=Open in a sandbox
Exec=firejail --apparmor --private --dns=89.233.43.71 --net=eno1
--netfilter=/etc/firejail/nolocal.net --seccomp firefox -no-remote

Now if I right click on Firefox I have "Open in a new window", "Open in a
new private window" and "Open in a sandbox". A quick "firejail --list"
confirms firefox is running with the full parameter string. Yes, I'll have
to add it every time Firefox updates, but for now I'm willing to live with
that. Gives me motivation to look into John's suggestion of learning to
patch the file.

Also found that my firejail-profile package was corrupted and that is why I
could not get --net= to work. Purged and reinstalled the package which
solved that problem.

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 9:35 PM Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss <
> [...]

> working one at least.
>
> I need to play with this some, as I'd love to relaunch my 6-7 firefox
> profiles automatically, and not screw with my options to launch manually.
> I'm sure there are easier ways to do this normally, but I'm lazy to do so.
> /me shrugs
>
> -mb
>

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:31 AM Steve B via PLUG-discuss <
> > wrote:
>
>> Thank you. The original goal was to add it to the menu in Pop OS. I'll
>> look again, but don't recall seeing it after I created it in
>> ~/.local/share/applications. Do I need to use "--register-app" to add it,
>> or should it just show up?
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 20, 2021, 10:30 PM Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss <
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> A desktop file is standardized configuration file for Linux desktops
>>> that describe how to represent a program in the menus (complete with
>>> multiple language support), and how to launch it. So you can't just launch
>>> it directly because it doesn't mean anything to the command line. It
>>> should however be showing up in your menus now and so you can put it in
>>> your favorites and easily launch it that way.
>>>
>>> That being cause, you can kinda turn it into an executable by adding
>>> something like the following to the very top of the desktop file:
>>> #!/usr/bin/kioclient5 exec
>>>
>>> That will tell the system to execute the desktop file with kioclient...
>>> of course you need to be running KDE for that to work correctly. I'm not
>>> sure what the GNOME equivalent of that command is.
>>>
>>> Personally I would just pretty alt+F2 or alt+space may work as well and
>>> just start to type "Sandboxed Web Browser" and you may only have to type
>>> Sand or so before you can press enter and have it launch.
>>>
>>> Alternatives to starting it from the command line:
>>> Create a file called sandfox in /usr/local/bin/ and put the following
>>> into it.
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> /usr/bin/firejail --apparmor firefox $@
>>>
>>> Then set it to be executable and then you can execute sandfox from
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>> You could also set and alias with:
>>> alias sandfox="/usr/bin/firejail --apparmor firefox"
>>>
>>> That will allow you to type sandfox and internally it will replace that
>>> with "/usr/bin/firejail --apparmor firefox". That should also work in most
>>> places equally well, but only for your username.
>>> That's a one shot way of making that available. If you want it to be
>>> permanent you'll need to add that line to your .bashrc file with:
>>> echo alias sandfox='"/usr/bin/firejail --apparmor firefox"' >>~/.bashrc
>>>
>>> I can't remember what your original goals were, so I hope the above
>>> isn't completely shooting the dark.
>>>
>>> Brian Cluff
>>>
>>> On 3/19/21 10:25 PM, Steve B via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>>>
>>> I took Brian's recommendation and created a file in
>>> ~/.local/share/applications called sandfox.desktop. Contents of that file

>>> Type=Application
>>> Icon=/home/steve/Pictures/firejailed_firefox128.png
>>> Exec=/usr/bin/firejail --apparmor firefox
>>> Name=Sandboxed Web Browser