Re: OT: Off topic ... Hi from an old timer ... plus, a Quest…

+ (text/html)
Author: AZ Pete via PLUG-discuss
To: der.hans via PLUG-discuss
CC: AZ Pete
Subject: Re: OT: Off topic ... Hi from an old timer ... plus, a Question
I would think hard about upgrading to a "faster" plan.
The Wall St. Journal did  a study that basically said you gain no advantage for streaming media by upgrading to a faster plan.
The WSJ article is behind a pay wall, but this article summarizes the results.
https://medium.com/gowander/quick-take-wsj-the-truth-about-faster-internet-its-not-worth-it-c73d79a616b9

I've been working from home since last March when Covid started. I have two kids. One is in high school who is on Zoom all day for school. The other is streaming Pluralsight/Youtube/Coursera all day doing self-learning to become a software dev. I'm a DBA and am on all kinds of video calls/meetings throughout the day as well as transferring large files to/from my local network. My wife works remotely as well (altho not very many video meetings).  In the evening the kids are streaming movies/Youtube/video games/Discord/etc. With all this streaming going on I've never experienced any noticeable lag/dropouts in streaming or video conference calls. However, we consistently *almost* reach our 1.25TB cap each month. I have the Cox "Internet Preferred" plan (100Mb down/10 up). Since we are using a lot more data I'm considering upgrading our data cap (but not the speed).

As far as the redundant ISP idea, I too worry about this. But my plan in the event of an ISP outage is to use my mobile phone as a hot spot. It'll work in a pinch to get me by until the outage is resolved. I've only ever experienced short outages with Cox, so having a backup ISP seems like a lot of wasted money in my opinion. But, you have to assess you're own situation and make the decisions that work for you.

Something to consider....
Peter